Recipe adapted from CHINESE FLOWER ROLLS WITH SCALLIONS (HUA JUAN, 花卷) by Red House Spice.
In our previous blog post, we mentioned we’d be sharing recipes from our Kaijia Muslim Food TikTok account. Here’s the first recipe: Pan-Fried Thai Basil Flower Rolls.
For a more detailed step-by-step guide, please refer to the original post by the Red House Spice.
What Are Flower Rolls | Huajuan | 花卷
It’s a type of Chinese steamed buns. In our household, we like to have it for breakfast and we eat it on its own or with tea. Sometimes, we’ll have it with soup or vegetable dishes. A bit of a disclaimer, usually we use spices for the filling or a scallions-spice mixture. Since we have quite a lot of Thai basil in the garden, we decided to make a Pan-Fried Thai basil Flower Rolls version.
Ingredients For The Dough
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 130ml warm water
Ingredients For The Filling
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped Thai basil
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Mix flour, yeast, baking powder and sugar in a bowl.
- Add water and knead the mixture into a dough.
- Cover the dough and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, put Thai basil, Chinese five-spice powder and salt in a bowl. Heat up the oil and pour the oil over the mixture. Mix well.
- Shape the dough into flower rolls, cover and leave it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Once the rolls have rested, add oil to a frying pan over high heat.
- Carefully place the rolls into the pan and when the bottoms turn brown, pour in 200ml water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the rolls cook until the water has completely evaporated.
Have fun trying this recipe out! Oh, and do follow our TikTok account.